IGNITE PRESENTATION REPORT
BY: Chichi Okafor, IGNITE Coordinator Nigeria
IGNITE Nigeria Chapter had an IGNITE presentation on the 18th of November 2011. We had a super fabulous presentation at Public Affairs Section, US Consulate, Lagos Nigeria. The turnout was amazing. We had four schools in attendance. The girls asked a lot of questions - great questions!
We could have been there several more hours, if we were able. The speakers and everyone present were beyond words. The stories by the speakers were so heartfelt, inspirational, and fascinating. Even with all those girls you could hear a pin drop!! Each woman simply told her own story, which is the heart of what we do in IGNITE.
Our presenters all opened up and shared their stories and their obstacles in such a real way that we all felt truly touched very deeply. There was also lots of fun and their enthusiasm was contagious. It is obvious how much they all loved coming in to talk to the girls. We are so fortunate to have the amazing women volunteers that we have.
I want to thank our very special speakers: Ms Ore Somolu, Director, Women's Technology Empowerment
Centre (WTEC), Mrs. Folake Etomi, Shell Petroleum Development Company and Mr. Jide Awe, Chairman, Publicity, Events and Trade Services Committee Nigeria Computer Society (NCS).
You were all exceptional speakers and really connected with the young women. It was thrilling to hear all of you and watch the girls get inspired!
I also want to thank Nigeria Computer Society Lagos State, The Principal, Aunty Ayo International School, The Principal, Caleb British Schools, The Principal, Pentecost College and The Principal, Grace Schools all in Lagos for making this happen. Thank you for allowing the girls.
A heartfelt thank you goes to the Public Affairs Section of the US Consulate for supporting me. I could not have done it without you.
Now take a look at the comments from the girls, who always say it best!!
- I liked the teachings and the life story of the speakers, Mrs. Folake and Ms Ore. They really inspired me and showed the way on how to make it in life. I learnt that hardwork does not kill. Anthonia
- In today’s event, I liked the issue that your gender doesn’t limit you to your choice of career but make you stand out even among your peers as a successful person. The most word I heard today was “Don’t focus on your disappointment but see it as a starting point in your achievement in life”. Chidinma
- It fascinated me how the speakers got to where they are starting from a state of confusion, facing obstacles, overcoming challenges and other things. Also the various things you can achieve with a simple ski which you think is not valuable. Timilehin
- I love the emphasis laid on the power of women in changing lives today and having the ability to make the world a better place. Taking my time to listen I have found this very interesting, I have enjoyed it to the very best and I am sure it has made a big impact in my life. I learnt girls have the power to do anything, create anything and change (improve) technology in a big way. Shofu
- The most interesting thing I have heard today is about the advice and the story. It made enjoy the program and made me consider having a degree in technology. I was think about being a medical doctor. Esther
- The interesting thing I learnt today is that I can be the best among the best even if I am the only female amongst men. I could be the leader and the best. Sharon
- We are leaders of tomorrow. Never forget that we can be whatever we want to be, we have to be hard working. Don’t let money destroy your dream. The most interesting thing I heard today was the life story of the speakers. It really touched me and made me have interest in IGNITE. They made us believe inn ourselves. Ifunanya
- I really learnt a lot especially thinking about what I want to be in future. I also learnt that technology subjects are very important in life. Femi
- I liked the encouragement they gave me today, I have received more insight about my career and what I want to be. I have learnt to dream big and never relent on my effort. Chimuanya
Well, what a fabulous event. I want to thank everyone who makes this all possible and for all of your continued support of IGNITE. All of you who read this, I mean you!!
See you at our next event.
IGNITE Coordinator Nigeria
If you need more information about IGNITE, please visit igniteworldwide.org or call Chichi Okafor at 08033296642